As spring approaches, it seems everyone gets excited for exterior as well as interior painting projects. Adding color to your home can help to change the overall feel of the space. Here are some questions I ask when doing a color consult. The answers to these questions are a starting point of selecting the best colors for your interior.
1. How do you want to feel in the space?
2. Are you trying to recreate a feeling from a vacation? If so, what?
3. How do you plan to use the space?
4. If you’re entertaining in the space, how often and how many do you accommodate?
5. If I were to peek in your closet or china cabinet, what kind of colors and patterns would I see?
So I mull over these answers and consider them when choosing colors. For instance, if you were trying to recreate your trip to France, I would consider reds, golds, blacks and greens. If your closet is full of neutral colored clothes like blacks, brown and grays, I may consider sticking with a neutral or monochromatic color scheme. If you throw a lot of dinner parties, I might consider deep, saturated colors in hues of red or blue. Red is warm and welcoming, and blue can be stately and make you feel tended to. I also take into consideration your art and furnishings that are staying in the home.
So often, people don’t know where to start when it comes to color and they get completely overwhelmed. With consideration of the answers to these questions, you may know more than you think you do!